Monday, June 24, 2013

Passion, Music and Radio - An interview with Wefunk Radio / DJ Static & Professor Groove

Almost 10 years ago when DJ Domel showed me Wefunk Radio I couldn't believe that DJ Static and Professor Groove every week serve a huge number of dope rap, soul and funk. Few years passed and in the year 2010 I had a chance to invite the guys to do a show in Wroclaw City in the Club Plan B (much thanks to Ryba:)) After their visit I decided to make an interview with both DJs (2011 r. but it wasn't published at all). Check out a conversation with Wefunk Radio! What DJ Static and Professor Groove do together deserves big respect! A lot of knowledge, a lot of inspiration but first of all an incredible number of dope music! Enjoy.


1. Please describe the history of Wefunk Radio.  (name, first shows, how did you know each other etc.)

DS: We started WEFUNK Radio back in 1996. At that time Professor Groove and I were both students at McGill University and volunteered at its radio station CKUT 90.3 FM.  We were randomly paired up by the station to do a 15-minute training show.  At that time he was into funk and I was into hip-hop.  We figured it would be cool to do a show that exposes the connection between those two genres.  CKUT accepted our show proposal and we’ve been doing WEFUNK ever since!

PG: "WEFUNK" was a name that I picked from a classic Parliament track ("P.Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)"). The song starts off with George Clinton talking like an old-school radio disc jockey, and he introduces a mythical radio station called WEFUNK that only plays real funky music. So that was a perfect starting point for us! My mission is to dig deep into the full spectrum of funk and funky music, and DJ Static does the same with hip hop. Together we also show the links where hip hop is influenced by funk, soul and jazz, because the music stayed connected during different generations.

2. What are you doing beside the Wefunk?

DS: I love that question because I have a double life like a comic book super hero! When I’m not doing music, I am an accountant by profession.

PG: My “day job” is doing research at a university. One of the main topics I'm working on is how the brain processes sounds and music. It's really fascinating work for a DJ!

3. How do you prepare your shows? (selection, guests, etc.)

DS: Research is key to doing a good show. As a weekly show, we need a lot of new material to keep the content fresh without repeating tracks. Back in the early days of WEFUNK I used to freestyle a lot of my sets.  Now I plan ahead and approach each week’s sets more like I do a mixtape.

PG: Yeah, preparing for WEFUNK shows involves a lot of listening to music during the week, so I can find fresh tracks to play. It's a never-ending exploration, digging online and through my old vinyl to find new gems. We often feature guest DJs on the show too. These are usually people that we know really well, who can stay true to the WEFUNK funk or hip hop sound but also bring something special and unique in their musical selection.

4. Are you involved in other elements of Hip-hop culture beside DJing?

DS: DJ’ing is my main focus.  The WEFUNK sound has always found a natural niche in the bboy community, so we are quite connected to that scene and the street dance scene in general. I personally really enjoy making music in the context of a band, as the DJ among MC’s, singers, and live musicians.

5. Are there any good Canadian artists that you would recommend?

DS: Many! In Montreal there is my old band Nomadic Massive, Kalmunity Vibe Collective, Loes, Narcicyst, Lotus, Karma…. Another dope MC you might have heard on WEFUNK is MC Abdominal. I also like Saukrates, Rascalz, Moka Only, D-sisive, and Sikh Knowledge. Masia One and Eternia are definitely putting women on the map in Canada and beyond. Marco Polo is emerging as a go-to producer for a lot of underground hip-hop.  As far as DJs go, Skratch Bastid is one of my favorites.  Very talented also is Tony Ezzy, whose style defies easy definition!



6. You have a great review of music through all these years. Where do you consider music will get in a few years?  And what do you think about the present Hip-hop scene?

DS: Compared to earlier times, it is now easier to produce and market music independently, without going through the major labels.  I think this opens up a lot of possibilities for good music to be heard.

7. Did you have an opportunity to work with some famous artists?

DS: There have been a few occasions when we’ve crossed paths with artists who were a big influence on us, like Hank Shocklee (Public Enemy), DJ Cash Money (DMC World Champ 1988) and DJ Lord Jazz (Lords of the Underground). It is very inspiring when people like these tell us they know and like what we do!

8. Tell a few words about your records collection. (Favorite LPs, artists, white ravens, novelties, interesting stories) It seems like you know and posses all the Hip-hop and funk songs:)

PG: I've always tried to keep my vinyl collection "All killer / No filler", so it's packed mostly with music that I know I can play for dancefloors. I guess it's because I started collecting vinyl at the same time as I started DJing in clubs. I've never had an extreme collector mindset, chasing after full catalogues or high priced holy grails. Instead, I have a lot of records I bought because I was really excited to play them out at shows — and now when I flip through my crates each one brings back good memories. For WEFUNK, where often I'm playing either really rare tracks or brand new releases, I'm content with playing digital tracks when it's necessary. My main mission is to share and spread good music, and to do that all I need is to be able to play it — the format isn't so important. What's important is that people can hear it!

9. We can hardly find some West Coast rap among your shows. Why?

DS: Even though I grew up on the West Coast, my ear was always drawn more to the New York sound, especially during the Golden Era. I liked the hard drums and raw funk samples.  But my taste in music has broadened out a lot since then. Now I can appreciate the smoother, more laidback funk that you find in West Coast rap.

10. Do you think it is possible to have your own style at playing records? Have you noticed any fashion among DJs? (playing certain records etc.)

PG: Different DJs definitely have different styles of playing. When I listen to another DJ sometimes I'm listening just as much to HOW they're playing as WHAT they're playing. Songs are the vocabulary, but a talented DJ knows how to put those songs together so they tell a musical story that makes sense — themes, climaxes, plot twists, etc. Crowds can feel when sets are put together well, because the music fits together and builds the energy in the room. But there's a million ways to accomplish that (and a billion ways to do it wrong!), so that's where individual DJ style is important.

11. When did you decide to do live shows around world? Tell briefly about touring. How did you feel in Poland?

DS: We started going on tours when promoters started inviting us!  All that started around 2004 and has been growing stronger ever since.

PG: We're really happy with the amazing response we get from crowds around the world. It's such a gratifying experience to travel to new places and share the music we love with thousands of people. Poland is a really cool place for us to play because everybody at the show is there to party! Even the first time we played, when there wasn't a huge crowd, it was a crazy experience. Maybe it's the vodka, I don't know! Now we're starting to build a strong fanbase in Poland, and it has definitely become one of my favorite countries to DJ. I think there's something special about Eastern Europe, because we've had some great shows in Romania too. We're ready to explore more of the area, so promoters please get in touch!

12. Wefunk plans for the future? Will Wefunk remain the same – raw and original?

DS: Most definitely! 16 years and still going strong.

PG: WEFUNK has evolved over the years, but we've always stayed true to what we do best: playing great music, finding the best new releases, never forgetting classic sounds, and digging deep into rare treats. That's never going to stop!

13. A word of advice for young DJs.

DS: I think a lot of young DJ’s fall into one of two extremes.  Either they just played for themselves and are completely blind to their audience, or they just aim to please the crowd but don’t have a sound to call their own.  You need a balance.  And to DJ’s starting out on Serato, try to train yourselves to use your ears.  Just because two waveforms are lined up visually doesn’t mean the mix sounds good!

No comments:

Post a Comment